Hello, hello and welcome to 8 for the '80s! In
this column, we'll be sharing eight topical links, videos, and memes
from the worlds of film, music, television, celebrity, art, toys,
fashion, technology, pop culture, and beyond, all filtered through a
totally bitchin' '80s perspective.
Got a tip? Shoot us a
Another week, another batch of totally bitchin' '80s links, as collected
from Internet points both big and small...
1. Tron turns 30 later this month and LA residents can celebrate
in style with a commemorative screening — complete with grid carpet (!)
and costume ball! — at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood on October 27th.
Tron 30th | Cap tip:
2. Indiana Jones, part time adjunct, denied tenure at Marshall College.
McSweeney's | Cap tip:
3. New Wave icons Blondie and Devo ham it up for a group pic. Head
exploding at the thought...
Stuck in the '80s
4. Illustrator Sean Hartter filters Metroid, my favorite videogame
franchise ever, into 8-bit poster art that is out of this world.
5. On a kinda, somewhat related note,
the Lego fanatics at
of Blue have pieced together Link's Hylian shield.
of Blue | Cap tip:
6. Minimalistic Pac-Man posters, rendered here to recall the wartime
propaganda posters of old.
Baranowski | Cap tip:
7. AH-NOLD Schwarzenegger's new memoir hasn't rehabbed his image as
quickly as hoped (confessions of infidelity aren't particularly
endearing...) but mixed in the sordid details are a couple of revealing
gems about his career as an actor. Speaking about the filming of The
Terminator, he notes:
[James] Cameron was full of surprises. One morning, as soon as I was
made up, he said, 'Get in the van. We're going to shoot a scene.' We
drove to a nearby residential street, and he said, 'See that station
wagon over there? It's all rigged. When I give the signal, walk up to
the driver's side door, look around, punch in the window, open the door
and get in, start the engine, and drive off.' We didn't have the money
to get permission from the city and to properly set up the scene of the
Terminator jacking the car, so that's how we did it instead. It made me
feel like I was part of Jim's creativity, sneaking around the permit
process to bring in the movie on budget.
The Sydney Morning Herald
8. A musical about The Go-Gos? We're listening. Produced by that noted
musicologist, Gwyneth Paltrow? Let's just say that our lips are sealed.
Got a tip? Email us!