iconic movie of 80s is at least partly responsible for pushing forward two
of the most readily identifiable 80s fashion trends:
oversized sweatshirts and
leg warmers. Read more about the
movie, Flashdance, here. For the
Flashdance costume, those two items are essential.
The basic elements
for this totally 80s costume idea are:
- White tape across the balls of your
feet (see first few seconds of the Maniac video)
- Black leg warmers
- Black work out leotard
- Huge gray sweatshirt with neck cut so that it hangs over one shoulder
- Jennifer Beals' hair in the movie is the typical 80s frizzy, shoulder
length permed do pulled back in barretts just
above and behind the ears.
- The other really critical piece to the piece to the Flashdance look is
the wetness. She had water or sweat flinging off
her body and hair every time she was . . . well, a maniac on the floor.
We recommend taking a spritzing bottle with
you so that you can keep that freshly wet look throughout the party.
- Finally, you'll want to practice your running in place on the balls of
your taped and leg-warmed feet. Again, watch
the video for instruction and become your own maniac on the floor.