To capture the essence of the classic 80s
preppy look, we highly recommend The Official Preppy Handbook
- it is funny and scarily dead on in its descriptions of this culture
For this 80s party costume, you
can mix and match lots of different pieces - whatever you have on hand or
can borrow. So many of the preppy-style clothes have come back or
never went out of style and so are readily had new in the stores.
are some ideas:
• Lacoste polo or Polo polo in a bright color, preferably pink or
green, with the collar up
• Khaki knee-length skirt or plaid
• Khaki pants
• Grosgrain belt
• Sweater tied around shoulders
• Tretorn tennis shoes or penny loafers
• Understated hair and makeup
• Add-a-bead necklace
• Anything Lilly
Pink offers some good examples of the high school preppy look in the "richies."
Not that you need any excuse to re-watch that fabulous movie, but if you
did, there it is. It is research.
Like Totally 80s has this question: how do you really spell "preppie," or
it is "preppy?"
Photo at Right: Charlotte York (Kristen Davis) in her
preppy clothes during a Sex & the City 80s flashback. Note
her sweater tied around the shoulders and ankle socks with the pink puff
ball on the back.