Bands were totally awesome and so totally 80s. Dudes in glam rock
bands grew their hair out long, and then permed, colored, and teased it
within an inch of its life. Many wore heavy makeup to complete the look.
We loved the jarring effect of dudes in quasi-drag who were singing hard
rock music. Bitchin’!
But how well do you know your eighties glam metal? Take our Like Totally
80s quiz to find out!
1. Beavis wore a Metallica t-shirt. Butt-head wore an AC/DC t-shirt. Nerdy
Stewart Stevenson, who idolized Beavis and Butt-head, wore a t-shirt
emblazoned with what band?
D. Great White
2. Autograph is best known for what song from their 1984 album, “Sign in
A. Burning Like
B. Alone Again
C. Turn Up the Radio
D. Teas’n, Pleas’n
3. Dante Fox’s manager, Alan Niven, thought the band should change their
name. He suggested the nickname that singer Jack Russell had given the
band’s guitarist Mark Kendall. Dante Fox then became known as:
A. White Lion
B. Great White
D. Shotgun Messiah
4. Who said, “The makeup is simply an extension of the personality and
colors, clothing, makeup all express something”?
A. Gene Simmons
B. Bret Michaels
C. Alice Cooper
D. Dee Snider
5. Who frolicked on the hoods of Jaguars in Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again”
video and later married lead singer David Coverdale?
A. Traci Lords
B. Elle McPherson
C. Pamela Anderson
D. Tawny Kitaen
6. Which female-fronted band gained notoriety for controversial
S&M-inspired concert performances that included a male “slave” in
7. Tommy Lee of Motley Crue met his future wife Heather Locklear at what
B. Night Ranger
C. .38 Special
D. REO Speedwagon
8. Which album cover art contains hidden images? (They’re more visible
when you invert the photo.)
A. Guns N’
Roses’s “Appetite for Destruction”
B. Poison’s “Open Up and Say… Ahh!”
C. Warrant’s “Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich”
D. Dangerous Toys’s “Dangerous Toys”
9. What hair band lead singer went on to market a highly successful
A. Kip Winger
B. Alice Cooper
C. Jon Bon Jovi
D. Sammy Hagar
10. Why did Robert Sweet, Michael Sweet, and Oz Fox of Roxx Regime change
the band’s name to Stryper?
A. It refers to
lashes from a whip that Jesus endured.
B. It stands for Salvation Through Redemption Yielding Peace,
Encouragement and Righteousness.
C. Lead singer Michael Sweet’s then-girlfriend was an unapologetic
D. The Sweet brothers hailed from the town of Strype in the Dutch
province of South Holland.
11. What band did covers of Sweet’s “Ballroom Blitz” and The Guess Who’s
12. This singer was a classical music-loving ballet dancer in his youth,
and is now an accomplished composer of symphonic ballet music. It’s none
A. Kip Winger
B. Stephen Pearcy of Ratt
C. Mike Tramp of White Lion
D. Jack Blades of Night Ranger
13. Which band is known for the image of a dude in a hockey mask and
straightjacket on their album covers?
B. Quiet Riot
D. Lizzy Borden
1 – A, 2 – C, 3 – B, 4 – A, 5 – D, 6 – A, 7 – D, 8 – C, 9 – D, 10 – B, 11
– B, 12 – A, 13 - B