By Julie Anderson
That’s right, LT80s readers. This eighties quiz is totally wild. Put on your thinking caps and, like, turn them up to eleven, because you’re about to get challenged with some serious 80s trivia. Pets, pests, and guardian gators: how much do you remember about animals on TV and in the movies?
1. The Dukes of Hazzard (1979-1985) showed us how those hot Duke boys managed to evade Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane. What was the name of the sheriff’s lazy basset hound?
2. Stephen King’s 1982 novel, Cujo, was made into a movie with the same name in 1983. Cujo was a good puppy that contracted an especially virulent strain of rabies, and all sorts of horrific mayhem ensued. What kind of dog was Cujo?
B. German shepherd
C. Pit bull
D. St. Bernard
3. ALF (1986-1990) was about the adventures of a wise-cracking Alien Life Form who lived with the Tanner family. On ALF’s home planet of Melmac, certain pet animals were viewed as particularly delicious. What were they?
4. So number 3 was easy, huh? All right, smarty-pants. What was the name of the particular Tanner pet that ALF repeatedly tried to eat?
5. The cute, sassy main character of Punky Brewster (1984-1986) remained upbeat after a tough early childhood, thanks at least in part to her loving golden retriever. Thankfully, her grumpy adoptive father, Henry, allowed her to bring her dog home. What was Punky’s dog’s name?
6. Miami Vice (1984-1989) was a stylish cop show that encouraged dudes to skip socks with their loafers and to wear more pastels. Because he was a badass, Sonny Crockett had a pet watch-gator to guard his boat. The drug-sniffing alligator even got separation anxiety and would go on crunching rampages if Sonny left him alone for too long. What was the sweet little reptile’s name?
7. Oh Heavenly Dog! was a 1980 movie starring the dog Benjean, billed as Benji (and daughter of Higgins, the original Benji). Omar Sharif was the bad guy in the comedy about a dude who returns to earth as a dog, and Jane Seymour was the love interest. Who played the ghostly private investigator who inhabits Benji’s body?
A. Chevy Chase
B. Bill Murray
C. Dustin Hoffman
D. James Belushi
8. 1989 brought us Turner and Hooch, a movie where cop and canine partner to fight crime. Beasley the French Mastiff played Hooch, but who played Turner?
A. Jeff Bridges
B. Robert Downey, Jr.
C. Tom Hanks
D. Warren Beatty
9. A Fish Called Wanda (1988) is about a jewel heist gone wrong—and included some graphic goldfish abuse at the hands of the crazed Otto (Kevin Kline). (pssst – don’t worry, no goldfish were harmed in the filming of the movie.) What horrible fate did all of Ken’s goldfish (except for Wanda) share?
A. They’re swallowed raw.
B. They’re flushed.
C. They’re made into fish burgers.
D. They’re microwaved.
10. 1986’s The Adventures of Milo and Otis was the live action tale of a tabby cat and a pug that leave their pleasant farm for the wild outdoors. The animals don’t talk, but a famous narrator does. Who narrated the movie?
A. Jack Nicholson
B. Ben Kingsley
C. Morgan Freeman
D. Dudley Moore
11. In Back to the Future,” it was Doc Emmet Brown’s dog that got the honor of being the first time traveler. With Doc Brown controlling the DeLorean via remote control, the oblivious pooch went forward a whole minute in time, then hopped unharmed into Doc’s truck. What was the name of the adventurous doggie?