The movies were great, and the new animations were, too. The year was 1986, and what a year it was. Boy was life simpler back then.
What Life Was Like in 1986
- L.A. Law
- Pee-Wee’s Playhouse
- Growing Pains
- The Cosby Show
- The Hogan Family
- The Oprah Winfrey Show
- Top Gun
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- Stand by Me
- Pretty in Pink
- Crocodile Dundee
- The Money Pit
People That Were Born in 1986:
- Lady Gaga
- Robert Pattinson
- Megan Fox
- Mary- Kate and Ashley Olsen
- Lindsay Lohan
- James Deen
- In the US, there were more than 240 million people and globally, almost 5 billion.
- All seven astronauts on board the Space Shuttle, Challenger, were killed when the shuttle exploded 73 seconds after takeoff.
- Nuclear reactor at Chernobyl explodes and releases radioactive material across much of Europe.
- Phantom of the Opera debuts in London’s West Side.
- London’s Stock Exchange is deregulated and therefore allowed for computerized share dealing.
- Mike Tyson wins his first boxing title becoming the youngest heavyweight champion at the time.
- Pixar Animation Studio’s opens in this year.
- Smoking is banned on public transportation.
- Top Gun was the highest grossing film at over $8 million its first weekend.
It’s hard to believe that smoking wasn’t banned sooner on public transportation. But then again, the smoking ban in bars didn’t begin until the last decade either. The best thing to come out of this year? Stand by Me, hands down. Love that movie.