The first years of the 8os were filled with things like PacMan and lower prices than we’ve seen in years. For more early 80s fun facts, read here:
Fun Facts From the Early 1980s
- In January 1980, Gold reached a record high of $850 per ounce.
- PacMan arcade was created.
- Ronald Reagan was elected as President of the United States.
- Post It Notes were released.
- The Blues Brothers, The Shining, and the Empire Strikes Back were huge hits this year.
- In 1981, gas was $1.25 per gallon, a postage stamp cost $.18 cents, and a movie ticket ran a low $2.25.
- MTV launched in August of 1981.
- Lady Diana and Prince Charles married.
- The wreck of the Titanic is found.
- Aspertame was approved by the FDA.
- The world population was over 5.3 billion.
- In 1982, Michael Jackson released his album, Thriller.
- Emoticons were first thought of by a computer scientist so that he could add emotion to an email.
- Liposuction is first introduced.
- Lowest PGA score of 63 played by Ray Floyd.
- The cost of a Superbowl ad was $324,000.
- Japan sold the first ever CD player.
- Return of the Jedi was 1983’s top grossing film and the book was the top selling novel that year too.
- The computer mouse was invented in this year.
- Sally Ride was the first woman in space.
- Microsoft word was first released.
- Tony Montana coined, “Say hello to my little friend,” in Scarface.
- The McNugget was born.
- A loaf of bread ($.93,) a pound of bacon ($1.55,) and a dozen eggs ($.58) fed your family breakfast for $4.06 in 1984.
- DNA testing was developed by Alec Jeffreys.
- The Boston Beer Company was founded in this year.
- John Hughes first film, Sixteen Candles, debuted.
The early 1980s are full of nostalgic games, great prices, and awesome movies. What a time to be alive, (or be born!)