This is a very easy to put together 80s costume. Most of us have access to some sort of 80s formal dress, lurking either in our closets or the closet of a relative or friend. Pull that puppy out, dust off the ruffles and plan for a totally awesome 80s party or Halloween. Once you have the dress, you can add details to the costume at whatever level you want. We’ve included some ideas below for taking it up a notch or two.
Elements for the ultimate 80s Prom Queen costume
- A fabulous vintage 80s dress (ask you mom, your mom’s friends, use your own stash from the 80s, or search ebay — this link takes you straight to the 80s prom dresses on ebay)
- Satin dye-able shoes to match – this is a low-cost detail that is priceless (a bridal shop can do this for you)
- 80s hair – if you can’t style your own through teasing, crimping, side-ponytails, etc, consider a wig
- Rhinestones (now that’s fancy!)
- Wrist Corsage – must include baby’s breath.
- A date – try to get your date to go Don Johnson-style!
Notable details in this prom picture:
- One-shoulder styling of the oraganza dream in pink and black in the back row
- Puffy sleeves of the turquoise dress
- LOADS of feathered hair
- The ubiquitous wrist corsage
- I love how the front row is sporting their dates’ bowties