Joan Jett was and is a bad ass. So, this costume is all about bringing forth your inner BA. Joan Jett rose to super-stardom in 1982 with her smash hit, “I Love Rock n Roll.” She defined a certain hard-edged, hard rocking rebelliousness that is as appealing today as it was in the early 80s. The message is timeless and so is the look. If you love rock n’ roll and don’t give a damn about your bad reputation, Joan Jett is the costume for you. This costume requires the following, but can be adjusted to suit your taste and what you have on hand.
- Black. Ms. Jett wore a lot of black. Black top, black pants, and black leather jacket (shown here without the leather jacket, and it still works)
- Low slung belt with metal embellishments.
- Neck wrap. This can be a scarf (we used a black infinity scarf from Target) or bandana, but 80s’era Joan Jett was known for her neckwear so this is an element not to be missed. A black bandana can be gotten at a craft store for around $1.00.
- Stacks of bracelets up one or both arms.
- Black wig, shoulder length with bangs. You may need to do some trimming to the get the length and bangs right. I also brushed in down on top instead of having it spikey as the web site shows.
- Smokey eyes – This is a key element to getting this look right. Here’s a great tutorial if you are make-up challenged like I am: How to: Create a Smoky Eye.