By Lori Ferraro
Cyndi Lauper was a mainstay of the 80’s – pioneer of both the music and the style of the decade.
Her outrageous and fun personality carried into her outrageous and fun look – Madonna may have been the sexy bad girl but Cyndi was the one you’d want to have a slumber party with, complete with pillow fights, dance parties and prank calls.
Her 1983 debut album, She’s So Unusual sent her flying into superstardom with a string of hits including “Time After Time” “She Bop” “All Through the Night” and her anthem “Girls Just Want to Have Fun.”
Cyndi was into the girl power thing before the Spice Girls were even born!
To me, her style was all snap-crackle-and-POP.
Corsets, crinoline, fishnets, wild make up and wild hair, all came together to create Cyndi’s fantastic/unusual style.
You can recreate Cyndi’s signature style easily – between a trip to the thrift store and a cheapie accessories store you can find everything you need to have people saying, “She’s so unusual” on Halloween night.
What you’ll need:
- Corset (a Halloween party store or a sexy-mall store like Fredrick’s of Hollywood can hook you up, lace you up or button you up…)
- Giant crinoline skirt (again, the party store, or from your old wedding dress/wedding consignment shop)
- Fishnet stockings
- Pointy, shiny high heels or lace up flat 80’s style booties
- Fingerless gloves
- Beads, pearls, bracelets, repeat…beads, pearls, bracelets, repeat – more is MORE!
- Gummy bracelets
- Giant 80’s earrings (better if they’re mismatched)
- Cat-eye sunglasses
Make up can be outrageous – think orange and blue, from the bottom of your lids to the top of your brows. Lips are shiny and red/orange, curled up in that Cyndi-style-pout.
Hair should be pulled/pinned over to one side, teased to the highest degree and sprayed firecracker red.
It truly doesn’t get more fun, or more 80’s than this costume idea – you can’t take it too far or do too much. So put on that corset and grab a gang of girls, and get out there and have some fun.
Check out this great Cyndi Lauper costume: